Saturday, September 13, 2008

Why Adopt?

I stole the post from a friends blog (her blog is private) and to be honest I could not have said it better so I I decided not to even try!
She has 4 beautiful children that are as young as ours so I am assuming everyone thinks she is crazy too!LOL They too are adopting form Ethiopia and are requesting older siblings.



I have wanted to write more on our decision to adopt, but sometimes it is hard to know where to start to capture all my thoughts about adoption in general and our adoption in particular. I guess a good place to start is with -- "why adopt".
After all, there are plenty of reasons not to adopt. There are millions of orphans in the world, so taking in two is only a drop in the bucket. With four children in a "perfect" two girl-two boy combo, we don't need more children. Adopted children may come with all kinds of "baggage", like undiagnosed physical problems or emotional problems of attachment, trauma, or grief.
Adoption alone will not solve the world's orphan crisis. We are not deceived into thinking that we can save the world. However, the Lord commands followers to care for orphans, widows, the poor and oppressed; and there are many ways Christians can fulfill this command. For us, seeking the good portion is leading us to an earthly adoption that reflects our own spiritual adoption.
... but you have recieved the Spirit of adoption as sons,
by whom we cry, "Abba, Father" -- Romans 8:15
Before Dustin and I even got married we talked about having a large family (by today's standards). Though neither of us is from a large family, we are starting to see God's hand in planting this desire in each of us. So, we don't need more children, but we love children and family. We want more children.
With every pregnancy, we have taken a risk -- there is no guarantee of good health or compatible personality. With adoption, we are taking a risk. Our adopted children will not be perfect. Our biological children are not perfect. We are not perfect.
My [Christ's] grace is sufficient for you,
my power is made perfect in weakness.
-- 2 Corinthians 12:9

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen.

Every family who adopts has different initial motivations (want to start a family, add to a family, bonded with children at an orphanage ...), but when it comes down to it, it's about family. And God has more than one way to create families.

Dana said...

Like you, I couldn't have said it better myself. While going through the adoption process with Myranda I too realized a smidgen of how much my Father in Heaven loves me through loving my daughter before I ever saw her face! Thanks for sharing. DAna