Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It is about that time......

So this year we are trying a new curriculum....we have always used a literature approach to learning. I love this method of learning, the children actually digging into stories to learn about topics. The past two years we used Five in a Row and used www.homeschoolshare.com for lit units using classic childrens books. While I have loved using these, there is alot of work that goes into organizing the year, finding the book, printing the goodies for the lessons etc.
Knowing this year was going to be a bit different with 5 kiddos in the classroom and the fact that Carson is getting older and needs a bit more "beef"....I decided to find a lit based curriculum that is laid out day by day for me!

I have decided on Winter Promise and the themed unit we have chosen is Amercian Story 1. This will cover our geography, history, social studies, Bible and reading. We have chosen our own grammar, spelling, math and science to add to it.

I am very excited to try this method of opening a binder and doing todays blocked off activities. The other great thing is that it is a 4 day a week curriculum so that leaves meour extra day for co-op!! So I will let you guys know how it goes later this fall!

Our other curriculum choices for 09/10 are:
Carson(3rd)
Grammar-First Language Lessons
Math-Math-U-See
Handwriting- Handwriting without Tears
Art- How Great Thou Art
Science-Apologia Astronomy
(Co-op classes will be Apologia Astronomy, karate, Sign Language, Little House)

Madelyn (1st)-
Grammar-First Language Lessons
Math - MAth-U-See
HAndwriting - Handwriting without Tears
Art-How Great Thou Art
Science - Apologia Astronomy
Phonics - Explode the Code
Reading - 100 Lessons
Spelling - Dolch SIght Words
(Co-op classes karate, sign language, Animals in Their Worlds, PE)

Annie 4 years old
MISC. - ABC units
Rod & Staff K program
Handwriting without Tears


Camden-
Handwriting without Tears
ABC Units

5 comments:

Annette said...

Can Bay, June, and I join you at your "school"? I can be your teacher's assistant.

Aimee said...

I love using literature units with my kids and they love them too. This year I'm doing fairy tales with my first grader. We are exploring the different versions of them. School has just started, but its already her favorite part!

Shannon said...

Thanks Bethany for patiently answering all of my adoption/Arise questions on the phone last week. We hope to make a decision very soon! I enjoyed reading your blog.....I also have one if you ever want to check in on us...shannonforthisseason@blogspot.net.

Anonymous said...

Which HOw GReat THou Art book are you usig?

Carla said...

We used WP's American Story 1 a couple years back. We loved it, and I'm sure you will too. I would love to use WP again, (if we could afford it, lol.)
Blessings,
Carla