Tuesday, February 10, 2009

While on this journey the world of blogging has been a source of information, support and friendship . Every story, timeline, and child is different but the journey is all the same! I had found some blogs several months ago of families with the same court dates the same week of December as our original date. Many of the families passed that week and their children are already home! A few did not. Sarah & Davis were one of the families, they were reassigned for the same week in January as we were....so their case was not heard either. They too are rescheduled for late March. I am including some of her own words in this post because quite frankly everything she said is what is in my head...and she is just SO much better at putting her thoughts into words!! I am awful at communicating my thoughts!! (as you know if you read this often!!)

The biggest hurdle in Ethiopian adoption is well....Ethiopia. In American eyes anyway. While on this journey I have had so many people ask me why it takes so long and why don't they hand us as many children as we will take. The answer of course is that they love their children and want to make sure their children are put into safe homes. So why does it take so long? I am learning that Africa and more specifically Ethiopia operate on a different time table than we do in America. The are not people consumed with clocks, calenders and timelines. I have been told they are more re-active than pro-active. They are most likely simply not prepared to handle the number of cases going through their courts. The number of adoptions has increased from I think 76 a few years ago to several thousand projected for 2009. I believe like Sarah that the mindset of how they operate as a country is important knowledge for prospective families adopting from Ethiopia. Here is what Sarah said....

"This weekend I also finished the book Love in the Driest Season by Nelly Tucker. The book is a memoir that tells the story of an American couple's struggle to adopt an orphan girl in Zimbabwe. This book was really helpful to me because it gave me a sense of how things work in Africa. I am getting the feeling that what we are seeing in Ethiopia (random delays, unclear guidelines, processes that are inconsistent) is not unusual across Africa. I know for us, we didn't realize the nature of what we would be dealing with when we began this process. Our agency has never really talked about the nature of adopting in Africa. I think that is an important point to be discussed because, as many of us have seen, this seems to be a very different game we are playing here, particularly for those accustomed to American norms for conducting business and legal transactions."

Here is the rest of her post. I really need not add to it...it is perfect. After this last court delay I have told many of you that I gave it over to God. I thought I had early in the process but I truly hadn't. I truly am thankful for the delays in that they brought me closer to God. Of course that closeness overflows into every area of life. I think it is because you reach a point where you are so out of control and their is NOTHING you can do to change/expedite/petition the process. Our society is that we can ask for managers when we are upset, we can write our congressman , we can picket....well when you get to this point in the adoption you must turn to GOD. It is actually sad that we don't realize sooner that it is all up to him....anyway I am rambling, so her is Sarahs post and her prayer vigil this is holding today Wednesday.

"It's been an interesting few weeks. Thanks to all of you have commented on our blog and shared your personal stories with us. I am amazed at how many people are going through the exact same thing right now. There are so many of us who have been delayed multiple times across agencies, particularly those of us adopting multiple children. To me, this is all the more reason to pray for the collective deliverance of our children.

I must confess I have never considered myself one of those "faith people". I am rational and logical to a fault. My head tends to run things more than my heart does most of the time. I have often looked at my father who seems to have a spiritual gift for faith and thought "how cool that he has that kind of faith" while at the same time not finding myself able to relate to his faith-saturated worldview because of the dominance of my own intellect in so many situations. This experience with our girls has caused me to reexamine my own view of faith.

Being at a place now where I feel that my family is being threatened, I have shifted my posture. Given that there is nothing else I can do in my own intellect and competence, I have been forced to turn to God. I have been forced to cry out to God for the deliverance of my children. Through this, I have learned that there are many promises God has given us that I may not really believe if belief connotes action. In my life as a Christian, I have confessed that God is real and His word is true but my practical application of those beliefs now appears somewhat limited.

Jesus said in John "Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in my name, I will do it" (John 14:13). Later again in John, Jesus says "Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give it to you. Until now, you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full" (John 16:23-24). I think that for the most part I have written off the literal interpretation of these types of scriptures as the domain of big-haired, private-jet-owning televangelists -not really my crowd. But now I'm asking myself what if these promises really are true in the literal sense? If they are, then perhaps I have been missing something. For the first time in my life, I feel like I am coming from a place of desperation and REALLY asking God for something in faith because that is all I have left. I am asking God to deliver my children and I am believing Him that He will do what I have asked and make our joy complete by making our family whole.

So here is what I propose. If you too are standing in faith interceding for your children or the children of people you love then let's join forces in prayer this Wednesday. Let us make Wednesday a day of prayer and fasting and ask God to hear the prayers of His people as we cry out to Him for the children of Ethiopia. According to our agency, we will find out at the "end of this week" if the courts will give us new court dates. Let's come together on Wednesday and cry out to God to move. I believe He hears our prayers and that He loves our children more than we do. Let us unite as His church - a church that knows no boundaries of state or nation - and ask Him to make a "road in the wilderness"(Is. 43:19) for our children to come home. In our family, we will be praying all day on Wednesday but we will pray specifically together at 6:30pm Pacific Standard Time if you want to join us at the same time we are praying.

George Mueller said, "Our work is to lay our petitions before the Lord, and in childlike simplicity to pour out our hearts before Him saying, 'I do not deserve that you should hear me and answer my requests but for the sake of my precious Lord Jesus, for His sake, answer my prayer. And give me grace to wait patiently until it pleases You to grant my petition. for I believe You will do it in in Your own time and way.'... Oh the hundred of thousands of times I have found this to be true...When it seemed impossible for help to come, it did come, for God has His own unlimited resources to help."

Let us call upon the unlimited resources of God this week and wait on Him.

If you plan to join us on Wednesday, would you please reply this post? It means so much to know that we are standing together with others in prayer for the children of Ethiopia."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

crying out for your children today my friend....

Carree Stewart said...

I Love this post Bethany. There is so much wisdom in here. It's just what I needed to hear. We are definitely going to be praying tonight at 9:30 PM!

The Cook Family said...

praying...

~Laura~ said...

absolutely praying!

Yes, we're going to the wilderness lodge. I saw the pics on your blog a few weeks ago and had to check it out. It looks so fun! Oh, yes...Old Mill is a MUST. It's so yummy! Any other suggestions of fun things to do with the kids? We're only going to be there a few days but I was thinking we may do the aquarium.

Creekermom said...

Bethany, remember FAITH is all it takes. Remember the mustard seed.
Praying with you and for you and your family both near and far. ((hugs))

Valerie~