Monday, February 16, 2009

Mikias

If you are adopting through Arise than you may know one of the families traveling now to get their son Mikias a 5 -6 year old little boy. They do not have a blog so I thought I could post a bit of their story here...I know how we LOVE travel stories!!

The dad is travling alone while mom holds down the fort here with the other children. He left Saturday at 10am and called home early afternoon on Sunday (which was like midnight in Ethiopia). He said the plane ride was the worst expierience of his life, it was hot he couldn't sleep etc. Once at the airport the driver for the orphanage did not pick him up so he and another couple had to take a cab. He was not feeling great and needed SLEEP. (disclaimer:this is an adoption story as told by a non talkative man on a phone that is $2.80 a minute!!)

I just got the following note from mom:
"Guess who talked to her son today......ME! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!I had Rob call from the orphanage to let me just hear his voice.Mikias said :Hello mommyHow are youI will see you Friday I love you mommyByeIt was the best wake up call of my life :)I just said I love you in between phrases.Rob said he is definitely Charity's big brother"

She was so excited! She could here someone talking in Ahmaric and then Mikias would say a phrase...she was ecstatic!! She couldn't believe how much English he could repeat !!

This is the family we started the process with back in March. We were side by side through the entire jouney even getting our first referrals the same exact day!! It is so rewarding to see them coming across the finish line...and knowing one day soon we will have all this excitement to share with them !! Our boys are at the same orphanage meaning I should be getting more pictures and even better, a friends report on them!! I may even get a phone call or video if the orphanage will allow it!! It will also be great that her son and my boys who have lived together since fall will always have each other as friends in America!

1 comment:

The Cook Family said...

AHHHHH! I have chills all over!! That is awesome! I hope you get some more pictures/videos or even better...a phone call!! : )